Monday 9 February 2015

February: Week 1

Since retiring, "What DL is Happening?" shares the highlights of my week...
I'm beginning to wonder how I fitted work into my week. I promise I won't include the mundane stuff like shopping etc., I hope that there is something of interest to you all. Let's start with...
Tuesday 3rd February 2015: SciBar...
If, like me...
  • you like a choice of "Real Ales", 
  • you're free during the evening of the "First Tuesday" of each month and 
  • you have an interest in STEM/STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts or Maths)- 
...then think about popping along to the Ship & Mitre to join us for SciBar...

Sadly you've missed February's talk where...
"Local photographic historian Ron Callender, discussed how two amateur photographers, working on Merseyside during the 1870's, worked tirelessly for over ten years to determine how to measure and quantify the sensitivity of film- when exposed to light - establishing photography as we know it today. 
Ron, also pointed out how difficult it was for Hurter & Driffield to convince the London scientific establishment that they were right!"
No change there then 
February's talk was about these two me (taking a selfie!)
By the way Dr Ron Callender is a Fellow of the Royal Photographic Society and former president of the photographers professional association the BIPP. For over 50 years he has developed new approaches to both pictorial and scientific photography.
It was a fantastic, engaging talk.


When I find out, I'll post what's coming up in March and I hope to see some of you there!
How much does it cost? SciBar is a charity and those who attend are asked to make a donation - cost of a pint...

Wednesday 4th February 2015: W&WPL...
Yes it was our 5th Walk & Wednesday Pub Lunch.
As I mentioned in the last post, we made a New Year's Resolution to do a Walk & have a Pub Lunch, every Wednesday.
  • You can see the Walk we did at...

  • ...and our Pub Lunch experience at...
Thursday 5th February 2015: F.A.C.T....

On Thursday we were off to F.A.C.T. to see "Kingsman: The Secret Service"...


...which is a 2014 British-American action spy film directed by Matthew Vaughn and based on the comic book The Secret Service created by Dave Gibbons and Mark Millar. The screenplay was written by Vaughn and Jane Goldman

The film's cast includes...
  • Colin Firth, 
  • Samuel L. Jackson, 
  • Mark Strong, 
  • Taron Egerton, and 
  • Michael Caine.
Kingsman: The Secret Service is based upon the comic book by Mark Millar, and depicts a veteran secret agent who leads a young protégé into the world of espionage. 
The villain is Mr Valentine, a tech-billionaire who wants to control the world using free SIM cards, so he can bring about a genocidal solution to global climate change.
 My better half and I thought it was an excellent, tongue in cheek, film. Well worth seeing!
Lunch before film
Friday/Saturday 6/7th February 2015: Sport...
Those who know me well, won't be surprised to know that the Six Nations is something I look forward to every year.
On Friday it was...


Wales v England with England, according to the "experts", the under dogs.
Result: 
Wales 16 - England 21

On Saturday it was...
Italy v Ireland followed by France v Scotland (I must admit we watched Everton v Liverpool that was a 0-0 Draw)
Rugby Results: 
Italy 3 - Ireland 26   &   France 15 - Scotland 8

P.S. I'd recorded the France-Scotland game and watched it later.

Saturday is also the day I am cook for my "better half", older daughter and myself.
This week it was...
Nans, RiceMaharashtrian Radish Salad...

..and Beef Madras.

Sunday 8th February 2015...
Visit http://maghullmeanders.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/enjoyable-but-tad-too-far.html and that will provide more details of Sunday's Meander.

We were so lucky to see, among other things, a Greater Spotted Woodpecker, a Hare and an Albino Pheasant.
Day-to-day...
I also, each day, read my RSS Feeds (Keeping myself up to date) and post things I think others would like to read, listen to, and/or watch via...

I think that covers "What DL is Happening?" so until my next post...

No comments:

Post a Comment